Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Don't be afraid to modify a recipe! Protien-Packed Cookies 4-6-11

I found this delicious cookie recipe in an Oxygen Magazine and when I went to try it out I found I did not have all the ingredients. So I thought to myself, I can modified the recipe with the ingredients I do have. I know, I'm so clever. You will find my modifications in parentheses next to the original ingredients. I have to say I was impressed with the final product and so where my friends that came over for a girls night. Martha, Jamie, & Angie...Love you girls! I hope you all enjoy my version or the original version. I challenge you also to modify any recipe you come across and don't have all the ingredients for. It can be a lot of fun and it makes you feel like such a chef. This goes for all aspects in our busy lives! Sometimes we have to modify our workout, our day, our recipes, ourselves to make things work. Just try it & tell me what you think!

Protein-Packed Cookies
(makes 2-3 dozen)

1 cup whole-grain flour (I used: 1 cup whole wheat flour)
1 cup wheat bran (1 cup oatmeal)
1 cup vanilla protein powder (1 cup chocolate protein powder)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/3 cup Sucanat; optional (I used it)
1 Tbsp pineapple juice (1 Tbsp fresh orange juice)
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 egg whites
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 tsp pure coconut extract; optional (1/2 tsp almond extract)
1 cup finely chopped fresh pineapple or 1 8-oz can unsweetened crushed pineapple (1 cup grated apple)

1. Preheat oven to 350. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper at set aside.

2. In a large bowl, mix together first 4 ingredients. Set aside.

3. In a small bowl, stir Sucanat (optional) into pineapple juice. Set aside.

4. Add all remaining ingredients to the large bowl and combine gently. Add pineapple juice mixture, stirring gently; do not over mix.

5. Use a spoon and bare hand to form dough into walnut-sized balls. Place balls onto baking sheet, flattening slightly. Bake in oven until lightly browned. Let cool before serving.

Nutrients per serving:Calories: 100 Total Fats: 1g Cholesterol: 15mg Sodium: 50mg Carbs: 15g Dietary Fiber: 2g Sugars: 6g Protein: 8g Iron: 1mg

2 comments:

  1. yum! These sound so good. I am so glad you are back. I missed your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH Good! I've got a lot more coming your way!

    ReplyDelete