Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Boosting Your Metabolism and Losing Weight 8.11.10

So I've been learning a lot about certain foods and spices and how they help aid our bodies in increased metabolism (how fast you digest foods) and fat-loss. I thought you all might be interested in some of the things I've learned. I'll try to keep it short and sweet, but I'll warn you that I get really excited about stuff like this and it's hard to sum up! So bare with me.

Did you know that spices like cayenne, dried mustard, and ginger can accelerate your metabolism? And that dill, garlic, anise and fennel will assist you with digestion? Also, cinnamon, cloves, bay leaves, and coriander will improve your insulin and glucose levels (that's for you ANGIE!). Parsley, cilantro, fennel, anise and apple cider vinegar will remove water weight and we all HATE excess water weight, right? I use apple cider vinegar all the time as my dressing on my salads and it's so delicious! Parsley and cilantro are so easy to grow in your very own gardens. I have some in mine this year and they make the perfect spice for my chicken wraps or tomato toasts or my homemade salsa. Something to be aware of is that hot spices can trigger water retention, so be careful of the chili peppers (note, cayenne is not a chili pepper).

If you are really trying to lose weight, you will want to stay away from dairy products of all kinds (with the exception of whey). Don't worry, you will still get your calcium from your greens like kale, collards, escarole, watercress, broccoli, and mustard and turnip greens.

I've always been a fan of protein because of the building and repairing factor after my intense workouts. I also learned that protein will raise your metabolism by 25% and will help aid the liver in activating it's detoxifying enzymes!

There is much more I would like to share, but I will stop here and post more as I have time. It's amazing what God has provided for us to keep our bodies functioning at their very best levels! It's always been right there in front of us and we can grow most of it right in our backyards! So the next time I'm looking for something to eat, I think I'll be choosing something God has provided us.....not man.
-Martha

3 comments:

  1. Martha, Love all this information. You're awesome & I love coming to BootCamp.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No problem guys~ Nice to see you guys are using good sense with your food so we can reach our goals we set for this Sept and October!!!!

    ReplyDelete