Thursday, July 15, 2010

Martha's More Healthy Chocolate Chip Cookies 7.15.10



I modified my old recipe for chocolate chip cookies to try and make it a bit more healthy. I put it to the test by having my daughters and husband (he's the biggest critic of all) try the cookies. Needless to say, they all loved it! I didn't modify the entire recipe, but only what I could. So here it is...

Chocolate Chip Cookies

1/2 C part-butter Shortening
2/3 C Organic Brown Sugar
2/3 C Organic White Sugar
2 Eggs
Mix these ingredients together in a mixer.

Add:
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1/2 tsp Salt
1 tsp Vanilla
2 C Whole Wheat Flour
1 C Chocolate Chips (can use dark choc if you like)

Bake at 350 degrees for 9-11 min. Don't over cook. I take them out before I see them turning brown.
The Organic Sugars and Flour I will post a photo of what I use and you can find something similar if you like.
Enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. HI Martha.....I am Travis Salisbury's wife. He told me about your blog, and I am loving it. I like to try and be healthy, but love cookies too! Do you happen to know that calorie difference in these. I love how you put the pictures up, that really helps me. I am officially a fan....thanks!
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to ask.......what is part-butter shortening? Thanks.

    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Meredith! I'm so glad you love the blog! I'm a huge fan of taking care of the bodies we are given and to pay it forward and help others is my ultimate goal. I have not figured out the calorie difference in these cookies, but I can easily find out in my Calorie King book. I will do the math and post it on here for you. As for your other question about part-butter shortening. This is not a healthy shortening by the way, I'm still working on making it 100% good for you :) Anyway, you find it with the shortenings. They just place part butter in it to give it a little more flavor. I feel like my cookies turn out better with this kind. I may try using Ricotta Cheese next time because that is a good meal replacement for your butters and shortenings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I was counting calories for these cookies. Not sure if I was doing it right...I HATE counting calories. I need to just buy an app for my phone to do it for me! Anyway, it seemed that the calorie count was staying the same. Once again, I very well could have figured it wrong :) Sorry I wasn't much help on this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooh hey! I have a recipe that is a lot like this except it calls for flax seed and water instead of the eggs.. maybe i should send it to you! i really like it!

    ReplyDelete